Wednesday 28 March 2012

Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away. And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sigh.

As my blogging activity is rather dismal, it must seem, like I am not really doing too much...on the contrary....I´ve been rather busy...still searching for the grains of inspiration for my final enquiry....as the module commenced I was already chatting with friends about my ideas...stirring things up a little. I made an appointment to talk to one of the ballet-masters at work and I also had the wonderful opportunity to talk to the new financial director of the "Hessen State Theatre" where I am employed. I am trying to approach the subject with open eyes, looking into many fields around me and I am sure come autumn I will be able to harvest and bake a nice bread out of my work.
I´ve been looking into the structures of the German cultural scene. Where does the funding come from, what is considered important and how are cuts and closures affecting society.
There´s the German culture council to start off with. It is responsible for political decisions concerning the arts including drama, opera, music, dance, literature, architecture, design, film and cultural education. Many enquiries are initiated by the council...and I was able to print some of personal interest and read through them.
I took a look at the German governments web-site and found answers on how the German government views the necessity of dance at this day and age.
Then there are also several associations concerning the german theatrical landscape. The "Deutscher Bühnenverein", the "Bühnengenossenschaft" seem to be the largest ones- then there´s the "Vereinigung Deutscher Opernchöre und Bühnentänzer", responsible for choirs and dancers in Germany. There are two dance specific archives. One in Cologne and one in Leipzig. Their sites also operate in English...
I´ve been putting a lot of thought into the social aspects of dance, or more specifically ballet and modern dance as we know it today, as I would like to look at the rather unknown field of dance-sociology for my final piece of work. Maybe I am falsely attempting to land on the wrong branch of the tree here...not sure yet.
The financial director of the theatre advised me to look into the sociological department of the TU in Dresden- especially at Dr. Rehberg´s work concerning culture, which again in turn lead me to a highly interesting book about the arts in society. Basically this book is what I would like to take a closer look at- but from a dancer´s point of view. Something like "The dancer in society". Or "Dancing with Society"....something like that.
Concerning research I am actually getting slightly worried...I am advised not to query the audience of the Hessen State Theatre. I could however ask my colleagues....dancers, as well as actors, opera singers, choir singers and the entire technical department. I am also able to draw upon my professional community...but I am also aware of the fact, that that will not be scientific research, as from my subjective point of view. Conversations with a sociologist have led me to GESIS, the German institute of social indicators. Maybe I can peck out some more ideas here??
So long so far...a quick glance at the creative mess I am looking through at the moment...maybe the birds of spring will help me untangle it...

4 comments:

  1. (I have just replied to your comment on my Blog but thought i would also post it here incase you did not see it there).

    Hey there Fiona
    Lovely to hear from you. I, like you, find the study of people (habits, social status, what makes us tick etc) fascinating. I too was getting a little lost/overwhelmed by the information/sources out there. So i spoke with Alan Durrant and one piece of advice that he gave me was to ensure that what ever i finally settled on i could really go into great depth into. That is to really drill down into a specific topic rather than more of an overview (not that that's what you were ever intending to do) of a broader one, however interesting. In my mind I've realised that i can't investigate everything that i want to, this project can't do it all. You must chose something that inspires you that you also feel confident you can deeply and thoroughly investigate. Also have you spoken yet with Alicia Beck as i believe her areas of interest are very much inline with your own. You could also try speaking with Hannah Kenneadeally-Muir or Emily Brenchley as i know they are both interested the habits of dancers outside of work and the treatment of dancers respectively. I've been re-looking through all the blogs i could to try and find the person who is researching how dancers are treated and viewed both at work and outside of it but i can't for the life of me find them. I will blog you when i find them but in the mean time take an hour a day and flick through others lines of enquiry posts you will find even more people who you can bounce ideas off of and receive help from in return. I hope that thats been of some help darlin. If i can do anything else just blog me.
    Stay safe - Phil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil...sorry for keeping you waiting for so long!! Thank you so much for your effort and help. I´m really finding it hard to get organized at the moment- it seems like there is way too much going on in my life at the moment, but that´s ok. I posted an idea in my latest blog today. What do you think about that?
      I hope you are doing well and that you had a lovely easter....take care...!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Fione, your topic seems very interesting. Maybe you have to narrow it a little bit more down. I have thought about your idea "Dance in society". Which society do you mean? The german society? Or a smaller society? Maybe this includes also the topic culture. I am looking forward for more thought and ideas of you. I like really your style of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Katharina...!! What a lovely compliment..!

      Delete