Wednesday 21 March 2012

PJs vs pointe shoes

Having let my thoughts spin out of control in their soyuz capsule over the past weeks I am trying to learn how to knit the tangled wool of ideas into something with shape.
The place I started thinking about ethics in the workplace was the stage, as to me, my professional setting consisting of the theatre-building, the ballet studio and my fellow company members, the stage is my church. It´s the place you enter and you immediately quiet down and look up.
Maybe my rather rigid classical education ingrained certain values in me. For example I was taught not to put my hands on the tutu I am wearing and although my ballet-days are gone I still respect my costumes, hanging them up (unless there´s a "fast change"during performance), when taking them off and not carelessly throwing them into a corner. Respect for principal or senior dancers is something you grow up with- never failing to leave them their preferred space at the barre.
I also learnt that the ballet-studio is there to work, not for eating and even now it still troubles me to take a bite of my kitkat- even when starving.
A thing that really opened my eyes was the program "Agony and Ecstasy" about the English National Ballet, kindly recommended by Alicia some time ago. In one episode a young dancer is literally being yelled at for being 5 minutes late, being called "dis-respectful" and "un-professional". In my own professional environment being 5 minutes late certainly would never prompt such an outburst.
My surrounding being a dance company of contemporary german expressionist dance, it struck me that there are considerable differences in values- especially to the ones I grew up with in a "classical" surrounding.
Another example that sprung to mind was how in classical companies such as the Hamburg Ballet, I have observed a certain dress-code. Clean and tidy, hair in a neat bun or french-roll and tight fitting dance-wear. In the more modern milieu I move in wearing your pajamas or covering yourself in thousands of layers to keep warm is more convenient and adds to a "certain kind of cool". Or I should rather say- it´s a kind of uniform. ((O;

2 comments:

  1. Space at the barre- good point on ballet ethics. And loving the reference to your pyjamas, it's so true- as soon as you walk into a company, you know exactly by what you're wearing if it's the right place for you or not..... bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Alicia!!
      Thanx for your encouraging comment...I really liked your analasys of ethics in your work contract..I'm looking forward to comparing notes...take care ((0;

      Delete