Friday 9 December 2011

The body as an organ of the soul is the result of the informing, creating activity of the soul itself

I am guessing that I could call the option of wireless internet my main source of information. Wherever I go and if I have an appropriate tool, such as my notebook, netbook or my iPod touch and there is internet available I take a look, if I´ve received any e-mails or what is new in Facebook. I deliberately don´t have a smartphone with permanent internet access, as I think it would drive me up the wall. Questions are frequently popping into my head, as I go through life and I am happy to look things up, if they are important enough for me to have remembered them until the evening, or if I have taken note of them, but if I were constantly looking things up on the go, I think my life would be a more dangerous one. (Mobile phones and traffic are definetly not compatible)

At home, other than being connected to my wireless network, I almost always leave the radio switched on. I grew up with my mother listening to BBC Radio 4 on a huge old longwave receiver. My choice of radio stations tend to go in the cultural/thinking allowed direction and many of the ideas I have bloged on are actually things I saw on the radio. In combination with the internet, where you can now quite easily access additional information on the program played, it is something I would never ever want to miss again. I have also found podcasts to listen to on the go quite handy, but I also need a break from everything too, so I take the information giving drugs in healthy doses ((O;

Another important of information to me are books and the library. Without wanting to sound too much like a nerd-face, once again I grew up with books instead of furniture and I still believe you can find anything you want in a book. Books make great friends to pass on, you can use them as a headrest, you can pencil in your own notes at the sides and you can tear out a page you don´t really agree with. Knowledge in finding what you want makes any form of research more efficient, of course and I am quickly learning how to make the most out of the state library, where I am living, which is a storeroom library, but it also provides online versions of articles and degree-papers amongst others. The use of online-libraries is something I still have to accustom to, but in general I can say that the ones I have used are handy, although I hardly ever found the book I was looking for.

Magazines make up a great deal of my life. To me they are more a pleasurable by-product, when taking the train, sitting on the toilet (sorry, but that´s the truth...I have a huge basket chock a block with mags), hanging out in the office at work, spending a day in bed and so on. I used to also read the German weekly newspaper “Die Zeit” on a regular basis, but somehow someone wearing a gray suit and hat came to steal some hours of the day and it became impossible to fit in anymore. If I find something resembling paper and information lying about I pick it up and read, what interests me. Simple. How anyone could ever have thought about getting rid of the printed page seems a mystery to me. I don´t see, how you can wrap your christmas presents with an iPad, nor do I find Kindle´s note-taking facility very user-friendly. I live close to Mainz, where Gutenberg´s invention of movable letters caused a revolution of the printed word in the 15th century. Maybe there´s something in the air here?

Of course I am also inspired by other people. Even if I don´t always see eye-to-eye with everyone, it feels good to be challenged by another opinion and to be presented with another point of view. I really enjoy reading through other people´s BAPP blogs and I really like, how some people have asked and inspired me to think differently about things. There is always someone around you, who knows something you don´t and I take great pleasure in “tickling” conversations.  

So as I sit on a pile of old magazines, my arms comfortably supported by some books, the radio is joyfully gabbing away in the background and I have my world at my fingertips....I say to myself "life is good" ((O;

1 comment:

  1. Fione,
    another really personal post which has effectivly talked about all your sources of information while creating a picture of you in your busy world. I really like how you create an atmosphere with your writing, without sounding too 'narative.' The radio is one source I didnt include in mine and one that is really efficient, its almost leisurely feeding you with information without consciously making an effort, like reading a book or searching online.
    I also find online libraries tricky at the moment, and although I haven't successfully found exactly what I was searching, I found some articles which I still used. It just seems difficult to sift through all that information which comes back from searches, but when you strike lucky and find it quickly, then they can be really effective sources of information. I think we just need to get used to it.
    You really mix old fashioned styles of searching information, as well as the more technological ones, as do I. Old habbits never die!

    ReplyDelete