Monday 14 November 2011

what would happen when dancers, choreographers, cognitive and neuroscientists came together to talk about movement?-Task 2d

Like birds, who are motivated by the first rays of sunshine to sing their song in the morning, us humans need something to inspire us and help us get out of bed...be it even at 6am in the middle of Winter.
Personally I am really enthusiastic about life and the happiness I am able to find inside myself. Not wanting to sound ridiculous here I am still curious about the challenges that lie ahead and like to remind myself of the wonders our lives have to offer. Sometimes, when you have had an eventful day at work (and believe me, being in the performing arts sector can be very emotionally charged), putting things back into perspective really helps. Sometimes seeing the world through the eyes of a two-year-old, who is just discovering the world around him works wonders on a tired, adult mind!
I personally am really affected by music. As John Powell states in his book "How Music Works"
http://www.amazon.de/How-Music-Works-listeners-harmony/dp/1846143152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321280902&sr=8-1
we all are. I feel whichever track I first listen to at the start of the day, sets the course for what kind of mood I am steering into. Of course music is an integral part of my current daily practice and the fact, that Stephan Thoss, the choreographer I am working with at the moment is so incredibly musical, really really helps and has, over the last three and a half years not only given me wings of inspiration, but also taught me to listen to music in another way. I sometimes feel, as if I am dancing on the instrument in the orchestra (literally) or as if you can see the music in the room- a bit like with synaesthesia.
Here is his web-site....it has just been taken on-line, so some pages are still not complete, but there are some excerpts to demonstrate, what I mean!
http://www.stephan-thoss.de/


What really gets to me is the political situation of dance and the arts in general. Especially here in Germany (again, I work and live here, so I know most about this particular subject matter and am confronted with it on a day to day basis) where the dance departments of many houses have been shut down (dance, our primal, universal language tends to always be the first to go!!!) and many more are on the table to follow.
As I am writing this, my thoughts take me back to the first round of auditions I did in 2003, when a teacher at English National Ballet school told us all to go to Germany to audition, as the country is swamped by dance companies. Now, not even 10 years later, the situation has alarmingly changed.
Germany is a country with a long standing theatre tradition. It has some of the most beautiful theaters with headers such as "Dem Wahren Schönen Guten" (for the true beautiful and good) (Alte Oper Frankfurt am Main) or "Der Menschheit Würde ist in Eure Hand gegeben. Bewahret sie!" (Dignity of man has been handed to you. Conserve it!) (Hessisches Staatstheater Wiesbaden) and my thoughts course around the necessity of preserving and developing this tradition.
This is something I would like to do more research on.
Someone, who has really touched me concerning the necessity of theater and of play is the austrian/hungarian writer Ödön von Horvadt, or the founder of the epic theatre Bertholt Brecht. Again a subject I would like to elaborate more on and see, if their thoughts can be brought into the 21. century.


What I really love is the paradox of it all. That life actually makes no sense, if you think about it, but you can find so much sense in it. That art seems so dispensable, but that us humans are lost without it. That dance is the most primal version of human communication and the most natural thing for us to do, yet it has become something so unaccessible, nicely tucked away in theaters. The people that inspire me the most in continuing to do what I love, are the people that keep on doing, what they believe in even if they seem to be fighting against windmills. Such as street artists, who are hated by many. To name one would be Banksy.
http://www.banksy.co.uk/
Not everyone likes nor understands graffiti, but many people love his work and even consider it art, without even questioning, what it is about.


What I really do not understand are the seemingly panicked and short-sighted decisions that are made in politics concerning art. At the end of the day more pressure is put on individual houses to bring in a certain amount of money within a year. This again leads to short-term decisions in the direction of the individual theatre, who often make fatal mistakes in management, yet again putting an awful lot of weight on each individual employees shoulder. Although there is not really one person of whom I can say that they answer my question in this case, but I am inspired by people such as the late Christoph Schlingensief
http://www.schlingensief.com/start.php
who make their own theatre- against all odds.

I think I´ve been toying with these thoughts and ideas for a long time, as I am also personally affected by them and I would really like to comb through my thoughts and elaborate some more on the necessity of art in general and in particular dance.
Art is like a large bird (I´m thinking Pelican like here). If you give it the freedom to spread it´s wings and fly you will become witness of something truly amazing!

5 comments:

  1. Fione - I am cruising now but will come back to this blog - a lot of in-depth critical thinking here... what has the course unleashed? the blog style that uses streaming consciousness, combining the formal and the informal is one that is one that is a style that is of the times as well - a kind of editorialising?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fiona.

    Im so glad that i followed your link from a comment you placed a while back on "put you hand up if you're a bit lost".

    Your Blogging is wonderfully inspiring. As was the choreography on Stephan's web site, as you say so Primal and raw, I couldn't take my eyes off of the screen. I would love some day to see one of his pieces in full and you dance also.

    Your entire Blog screams your personality: passionate, intelligent, articulate and insightful. Your image of the bird taking flight (a pelican, of corse) is perfect.
    I also enjoyed the statement you made re the paradox of life's purpose:
    "What I really love is the paradox of it all. That life actually makes no sense, if you think about it, but you can find so much sense in it. That art seems so dispensable, but that us humans are lost without it."
    As a thought for you, Do people really need the arts, do we, as artists, like this idea as it justifies our love/purpose or are WE just trying to "find so much sense in it". Just a thought. One of the sections of the recently completed tasks asked us to challenge why we believe certain things (Reader 2, page 10) and it really got me thinking. Have another look at it and let me know your thoughts on the above.

    If you have not already, you should check out Alicia Beck's site as she recently discussed her thoughts on changing attitudes towards the arts, dance specifically, and the ever contracting world of dance. You may find it interesting reading and to discuss your thoughts with her.

    I love the back ground quote, i have copied it into my bank of personal quote favourites to help keep me lifted and inspired.

    I would love, when you get a minute, to get your thoughts on my possible lines for further enquiry (they will be posted in a few days from now).

    Till then keep up the awesome Blogging Fiona and Stay safe - Phil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Fione,
    What an interesting blog entry, as Phil said, we are both barking up a very similar tree! Especially regarding the shrinking world of the arts, and the tightening budgets, and the 'bums on seats' ticket sales pressure which all theatres are facing at the moment. Putting pressure on artists as individuals is very selfish, as it cant detract from their performance, and even make them more concerned about the marketing side of dance rather than delivering a good quality show.
    I'm happy to see that there has been a new small company started up in the UK, pushing young artists and developing new talents. I know they are only short contracts, but at least there is the hope that new small companies are still fighting for their place! www.nebt.co.uk
    Hope you're well and still inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A real fresh, fruitful, exciting enthusiasm and joie de vivre you have painted for us in you blog. I am saddened to hear of the closure of dance houses in Germany, I guess I hoped that Germany would hold strong during this economical crisis. But hope is never too far away and as the saying goes 'hope springs eternal' and youth spring forth from the ground with fresh approaches and time for the old to bow out. There are pockets of funding available: Paul Hamlyn Foundation - www.phf.org.uk and Arts Coucil of England National Lottery Funding are just the tip of the iceberg. Enjoyable reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fione I am back and agree ideas are fresh. Many of the ideas could go into topics for the degree - either on the elemental of dance or music, the politics of keeping the arts alive, and/or how German is coping with these times. Artistry is often linked to their times - trying to interpret time and events for a wider cultural audience. Come back to these after professional networking - you are already ready Wenger - in this module it is about making a start so no firm conclusions are needed until Module 2. It is rally about what you want or need to spend time with right now - and how that relates to your personal and professional goals.

    ReplyDelete